The Distinguished Service to Safety Award (DSSA) is the most prestigious award given to individuals by the National Safety Council in recognition of outstanding service and contribution in the field of safety. The NSC Awards Committee has established the following guidelines to facilitate the nomination process for this award program.
Scope: The DSSA is designed to reward those individuals who have had a sustained impact on safety on a local, national, or international scope. The nature of the contribution should reflect exceptional service resulting in more effective or increased levels of injury and/or illness prevention, or assistance in furtherance of those goals. This may also include advancement of safety theory and research.
- Will be considered from members and nonmembers of NSC
- Eligible nominees will have at least twenty years of experience in a safety related field
- Active engagement in safety, either paid or unpaid, within the past five years
- Retirees are eligible to be nominated, within two year of their retirement
- Made impact on safety (international, national or local). Impact can include affecting culture change around safety within an organization or locale; developing and implementing safety protocols previously lacking in an organization or industry; or public campaigns or advocacy with measurable success in affecting safety awareness and individual behavior.
- Made significant and outstanding contributions to safety. Contributions can include innovations, research, or other academic pursuits impacting safety.
Nominator Guidance: When considering a potential nominee, it is important to consider the following:
- Self-nominations are not permitted
- The nominator’s obligation to the nominee and the process includes preparing a professional nomination package. A nominator may inform and engage the nominee in preparing this.
- Powerful, successful nominations are crisp in form, clear, neat, organized and not encumbered with extraneous information and endorsements.
- All nominations must be submitted through the online application with all required fields complete. No other documents will be accepted in lieu of the online form.
- Nominators must never assure a nominee that the award is theirs without the approval of the NSC Award Committee.
- All eligible DSSA nominees must have at least one and no more than three letters of recommendation.
- All criteria must be supported with metrics and appropriate documentation.
Deadline: Final nominations must be submitted online by March 27, 2020.
To submit for this award, please log in and/or create a submittable.com account.