2023 Diversity In Safety Scholarship Application
Diversity in Safety Scholarship
The National Safety Council envisions building a workforce of occupational, safety and health professionals that represent all of the cultures and ethnicities represented in the workforce. To achieve this vision, the Diversity in Safety Scholarship from NSC helps support students from diverse backgrounds who are pursuing safety as a career. The Diversity in Safety Scholarship provides the winner a $5,000 tuition award, renewable up to four years.
All Diversity in Safety Scholarship recipients are also provided the opportunity to attend the NSC Safety Congress & Expo at no cost, with access to technical sessions, keynote addresses, an Expo of over 1,000 exhibitors and networking events. The NSC Safety Congress & Expo is the world’s premier annual safety event, bringing together 14,000 occupational safety and health professionals from various industries.
Scholarship Rules and Guidelines
BIPOC individuals, people with disabilities, and people who identify as LGBTQIA+ who are seeking post-secondary education leading to a career in environmental, health and/or safety.
Additional eligibility includes:
- Students attending community colleges, technical programs, apprenticeships or bachelor’s degree programs within the United States (both in-person and online), enrolled full- or part-time; part-time candidates may receive a prorated award
- Students must maintain a GPA of 3.0
- For those who are attending programs without EHS majors, at least 25 percent of course work each semester must be pursuing careers that are applicable to an EHS professional such as public health, engineering and other educational pursuits that relate to health and safety.
Application and Selection
To be considered, applications must be fully completed and submitted online.
At least one and up to three letters of recommendation must be submitted with the application
Finalists will be notified in the Spring of 2023
- Finalists will be asked for additional information, verification of claims and to supply transcripts
- Finalists must pass a media review
NSC staff and volunteers will have access to the information provided on all applications
- Recipient will receive a check in the amount of $5,000, payable to the university/college
- This award is renewable up to four years
- The $5,000 award may be prorated if the recipient is not a full-time student
- Recipient must sign an acceptance agreement stipulating use of funds for tuition
For more information about the NSC Congress & Expo, visit congress.nsc.org.
NSC Student Members
NSC student membership opportunities are made possible through funding by the National Safety Council and its members. Click here to join NSC as a student member; there is no cost for membership. If you are a current student member and need assistance, contact CustomerCare@nsc.org or call 800-621-7619. If you are unable to become a student member because you have not yet been accepted into a program, please contact email@example.com for assistance.
NSC DE&I Commitment Statement
At NSC, we demonstrate our commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion through our culture and our values. Our culture embraces all people regardless of ancestry, color, national origin, race, gender identity, sex, sexual orientation, age, religion, physical or mental disability, or veteran status.* We boldly empower our team to model respect and dignity. We find impactful opportunities for growth and development. We create a safe environment that includes mental, physical, psychological, and emotional protections. To be NSC is to deliver our mission by working together — our employees, members, and stakeholders — in such a way that everyone feels a sense of belonging
We believe that you can’t be safe if you don’t feel safe. Feeling safe requires a commitment to equitable policy implementation and promoting diversity in the safety profession. We must cultivate our own diverse, inclusive, and equitable work environment to deliver on our mission to save lives, from the workplace to anyplace.