NSC launched the Rising Stars of Safety in 2010 to highlight the achievements of the best safety professionals under the age of 40.
The Rising Stars of Safety is designed to reward those individuals who have a current role in safety, and have influenced their company’s safety culture and safety leadership. Companies are encouraged to nominate multiple candidates, but only one honoree per company can be chosen.
To be eligible for nomination, the nominee:
- Must have been nominated by another
- Can be based anywhere in the world
- Must be under 40 years old as of October 31 of the receiving year
The criteria that will be used in evaluating nominations may include, but not be limited to:
- Demonstrated leadership
- Led a safety initiative with measurable results
- Engaged his or her peers around safety culture
- Demonstrated a personal belief in safety to business operations
The National Safety Council may choose to recognize any number of Rising Stars of Safety in any given year. No one individual will win the award more than one time. Historically, the Rising Stars of Safety have been viewed as a “40 under 40” style award.
When considering a potential nominee, it is important to consider the following:
- Self-nominations are not accepted
- Nominators should spend time early in the process discussing the nomination process with the NSC Award Manager, who can serve as a coach.
- Successful nominations include measurable, detailed descriptions and examples. Often, this means using a majority of the space available.
- The nominator’s obligation to the nominee and the process includes preparing a professional nomination package. A nominator may inform and engage the nominee in preparing this submission.
- Powerful, successful nominations are crisp in form, clear, neat, organized and not encumbered with extraneous information and endorsements.
- All nominations must be submitted through the online application with all required fields complete. No other documents will be accepted in lieu of the online form.
- Nominators must never assure a nominee that the award is theirs without the approval of the NSC Award Committee.
Nominations must be made through third parties; self-nominations will not be eligible. All eligible Rising Stars nominees must have at least one and no more than three letters of recommendation. A complete resume is required as part of the submission.
Final nominations must be submitted online -- Sunday, March 31, 2024.